Games Drill #3: Cradling Relay (East-West)
- Have players grouped in 2-4 lines depending on numbers (aim for 4-5 players per line if possible), with lines spread out evenly across the floor and operating side-to-side (east-west) in orientation.
- Place pylons on the ground to mark the start of each line, leaving enough space for there to be a straight line of players behind the pylon without being interrupted by the side-boards.
- Variation #1 (5 min): "Single Pylon." Place one pylon near the opposite side boards with enough room for players to circle around the pylon without running into the boards.
- At the sound of the whistle the first player in each line races around the pylon without a ball (Variation #1A), or with a ball (Variation #1B). All players then race around the pylon, sitting down in line once complete (the coach also has the option to add multiple reps through the relay for a cardio effect).
- The first team sitting down wins the relay race. Players in line are not allowed to leave until the player ahead of them crosses the starting pylon.
- Variation #2 (5 min): "Weave." Same as the above variation except running through multiple pylons in a straight line, with the last pylon closest to the side-boards allowing enough room for players to circle around without running into the boards. Players now weave through the pylons using a zig-zag pattern, while cradling a ball.
- Categories: Drillbook / Beginner / Games