Games Drill #6: King’s Court
- Have players stand around the face-off circle, or in two separate smaller circles. Two players start in the middle of the circle, both with balls in their stick.
- The players on the outside of the circle are able to strip the ball at any time, if either of the players in the middle comes too close. If the players in middle aren't dropping the ball for an extended period of time, the coaches can instruct players on the outside to take one or two steps forward or back at any time.
- Players in the middle may also bump (body check) each other in an effort to dislodge the opponent's ball.
- Variation #1 (10-20 min): "King's Court." If a player in the middle drops the ball, a new challenger comes in from the outer circle until everyone has had a chance.
- Player’s advance in a winner goes on format and the player with the longest winning streak becomes the winner.
- If one of the last players to go has a winning streak going, a few volunteers should be allowed to go twice.
- Variation #2 (5-10 min): "Teams." Same as the above variation but if a player drops a ball, the opposing team is scored with a point. Both teams send a new player into the circle each round, and games can be played up to 5 or 10 drops.
- Categories: Drillbook / Beginner / Games